IELTS HOPECO Vocabulary: Environment 1
- Acid rain: Acid rain is rain mixed with sulphuric, nitric and other acids formed by gases released into the atmosphere when fossil fuels are burned (factory smoke, cars, etc.). Acid rain is considered responsible for damaging forests and crops, and is particularly harmful to fish and other aquatic life in rivers and lakes.
- Aquifer: An aquifer is an underground layer of rock and sand that stores water and transmits it to wells and springs. The water, called 'ground water', can be used for drinking or other purposes.
- Arid: Land or climate that is extremely dry due to very low rainfall. Agriculture in arid regions is impossible without irrigation.
- Asbestos: A fire-resistant mineral once used in insulation and home products that can cause respiratory diseases.
- Asthma: Asthma is a chronic respiratory disorder which is characterized by shortness of breath, wheezing, coughing and tightness of the chest. Asthma often arises from allergies or can be caused by exposure to polluted environments.
- Awareness: Consciousness that a condition or event exists.
- Ban: Forbid or prohibit something.
- Biodegradable: Capable of being broken down or decomposed by natural biological processes. The term is used to refer to 'environmentally friendly' products. Many chemicals, food scraps, cotton, wool and paper are biodegradable; plastics and polyester generally are not.
- Biotechnology: The application of technology to the study or manipulation of living things in areas such as agricultural production, hybrid plant development, medicine, environmental research, etc.
- Carbon footprint: A measure of the effect that human activities have on the climate (measured in units of carbon dioxide).
- Carcinogenic: Capable of causing cancer.
- Carcinogen: A substance that may cause cancer in animals or humans.
- C0: Carbon monoxide: a colourless, odourless, poisonous gas produced by incomplete burning of organic materials such as oil, coal and wood.
- C02: Carbon dioxide: a colourless, odourless, non-poisonous gas that is a normal part of the air. It is absorbed by plants and exhaled by humans and animals. Burning fossil fuels (coal, oil, wood) increases carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas that contributes to global warming.
Mọi thông tin chi tiết, vui lòng liên hệ:
DU HỌC HOPECO
12 Hoa Phượng, Phường 2, Quận Phú Nhuận, Thành Phố Hồ Chí Minh, Việt Nam
ĐT: (08) 35 173 345 – 35 173 678
Fax: (08) 35 173 111