IELTS HOPECO Vocabulary: Golf
- Ace: A hole in one
- Away: The player whose ball is furthest from the hole. "Who's away?"
- Birdie: One stroke under par (par = standard score for the hole)
- Bogey: One stroke over par (par = standard score for the hole)
- Bunker: A sand trap or hazard
- Caddie: Person who accompanies a player, carries their golf bag and gives advice
- Cart (also: buggy): Small vehicle for transporting two players and their golf bags
- Chip: A low short shot to the green
- Course (golf course): A large area of land designed for playing golf. The course is divided into 9 or 18 holes.
- Dog leg: A fairway that turns left or right
- Drive: The first shot on every hole. Driver Wood n° 1
- Driving range: Practice area with mats, or on grass. Some driving ranges are sheltered or have overhead protection.
- Eagle: Two strokes under par (par = standard score for the hole).
- Fairway: Part of the golf course between the tee and the green which is kept free of rough grass
- Flag stick: Pin supporting a flag on the green
- Fore: A warning call when a ball is heading towards another player
- G.A.S.P.: Grip, address, stance and posture: what you need to check before starting your swing.
- Gimmie: When an opponent decides that you don't need to play the next shot, usually because you are close to the hole.
- Green: Part of the golf course with grass cut very short, surrounding a hole. The hole contains a cup into which players try to "putt" their ball. A flag shows the position of the hole.
- Green fee: Fee paid to play a round (game) of golf.
- Handicap: A numerical representation of a golfer's playing ability.
- Hazard: A difficulty or obstruction on a golf course such as a lake, pond, fence or bunker.
- Honour: The player with the best or lowest score on the previous hole has "the honour" or the right to tee off first on the next hole.
DU HỌC HOPECO
12 Hoa Phượng, Phường 2, Quận Phú Nhuận, Thành Phố Hồ Chí Minh, Việt Nam
ĐT: (08) 35 173 345 – 35 173 678
Fax: (08) 35 173 111